|Monday – Tuesday:||Closed|
|Wednesday – Saturday:||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Sunday:||1:00 pm – 5:00 pm|
Check this page for up-to-date postings for positions at the History Museum on the Square.
The Executive Director is a full-time, salaried position that reports directly to the Board of Directors.
The History Museum on the Square is committed to building and preserving an extensive collection of historical documents and artifacts, as we share stories of the crossroads to engage, educate, and inspire our diverse audience. We strengthen our community’s future by learning about our past and our culture.
The History Museum was founded in 1976 and in 2019 moved into an 18,000 sq. ft. state of the art museum, complete with interactive exhibits and temporary gallery space. With a collection of over 200,000 artifacts, photographs, and documents, the museum shares the stories of Springfield and Greene County, Missouri. This dynamic museum is a tourist attraction on historic Route 66 with a growing education program.
The History Museum on the Square is seeking an innovative Executive Director to lead the museum through this period of growth. The director will lead the development and execution of a strategic plan. They will engage with museum stakeholders, take a holistic look at the museum’s operations, ensure financial stability, and inclusivity.
Salary: $55,000 and $7,000 stipend to be put toward benefits and insurance needs
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, or related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- Experience in history museums or arts/cultural non-profit sector organization
- Senior level management experience
- Effective communicator with experience collaborating with a broad range of individuals and groups
- Strong writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to transition between strategic direction, development, and operational management
- Ability to provide strong leadership, vision, and strategic direction
- Strong understanding of best practices in collections management
- Mindset of cross-disciplinary and collaborative thinking
- Demonstrated self-starter, team builder, and problem solver
- Desire to embrace innovation and integrate new ideas in museum practices and programming
The responsibilities of the Executive Director are as follows:
- Promote professional museum practices to the board, volunteers, and staff
- Report to the board of directors encouraging their input and involvement utilizing their experience and expertise
- Lead fundraising efforts that will ensure the success of the institution and build financial resilience in support of ongoing programs and operations; this includes developing relationships with foundations, businesses, and individual donors and grant writing. Experience with capital campaigns desired.
- Represent the museum at public functions and events to promote the museum and its activities
- Develop an active community presence and build relationships to foster opportunities for new initiatives and partnerships
- Serve as spokesperson and chief advocate for the museum. Establish strong partnerships in the community. Enhances the museum’s image to expand interest and support.
- Work with the staff and board to develop a strategic plan that supports the museum’s mission and drives the organization to be more inclusive and forward-thinking
- Oversee museum operations, with a focus on providing a quality visitor experience, assist in coordinating building maintenance
- Manage staff including hiring, evaluating, and handling human resources related matters
- Demonstrate a passion for history and its preservation
- Promoting inclusivity in the stories the museum shares and collects
- Assist in executing programming, including leading tours and presentations
Please submit resume and cover letter (maximum length 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 6.