|Monday – Tuesday:||Closed|
|Wednesday – Saturday:||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Sunday:||1:00 pm – 5:00 pm|
History Museum on the Square is listing a new position as of 8.9.2023 - This position will remain open until filled. Please send a cover letter and resume to Charlotte McCoy, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Events and Experience Manager
Job Functions: Project Manager
Location: History Museum on the Square
Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Permanent, Full-time, Exempt Salary
Regular Hours: 40 hours/week – Tuesday through Saturday Must have weekend availability
The Special Events and Experience Manager leads special event programming and overall guest experiences for the History Museum on the Square. They facilitate special event logistics for internal museum departments and collaborative event opportunities with outside organizations. They will enhance and maintain the museum for the best visitor experience. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating, planning, and implementing engaging events that not only generate revenue but also promote the museum's mission. They are responsible for securing sponsors and underwriters for special events in coordination with the Executive Director and Business Manager. They are responsible for promoting museum events through various marketing channels, including social media, email campaigns, and community outreach, to drive attendance and participation. The position focuses on delivering exceptional experiences with a strong emphasis on professionalism, ensuring that the museum meets its needs for all day-to-day operations. They also supervise the First Impressions Coordinator.
- Develop, coordinate, implement, and evaluate diverse event programming for all ages.
- For example: group tours and visits, receptions, fundraising events, and stand-alone/recurring ticketed events.
- Lead the collaborative process for special event logistics for all museum departments.
- Responsible for collaborative internal communication with all museum departments for special event content.
- Not directly responsible for building educational curricula or collections and exhibit content associated with special events.
- Supervise the First Impressions Coordinator.
- Expand and track membership, including data entry and correspondence.
- Expand and oversee the coordination of the volunteer pool.
- Ensure that museum facilities are operational on a day-to-day basis.
- Ensure that the Welcome Center is staffed during the hours of operation.
- Daily cooperative communication with the Collections and Exhibits Manager and the Business Manager.
- Developing strategies with all internal departments for equitable accessibility experiences for diverse audiences.
- Supervise, train, and delegate tasks to interns and student workers.
- Expand and coordinate the volunteer pool through recruitment and training.
- Manage multiple budgets and timelines simultaneously.
- Promote and market museum programming, exhibits, and fundraising events.
- Provide monthly reports to the Executive Director.
- Strengthen relationships with local businesses, professional groups, and nonprofit organizations.
- Liaise with other event and marketing professionals.
- Attend board and committee meetings as needed.
- Assist with museum coverage, including front desk and galleries as needed.
- Assist with office phone, visitor inquiries, and tours as needed.
- Assist with museum staff in marketing campaigns.
- Assist with grant writing and fundraising.
- Assist with tours and field trips as needed.
- Fulfill other assigned duties.
- Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management, Museum Studies, or equivalent professional work experience of at least four years.
- At least two years of supervisory experience in a leadership role, preferred.
- Experience in planning and overseeing diverse events and programs.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation abilities are preferred.
- Positive and professional attitude.
- Familiarity with technology and interactive displays, or have a willingness to learn.
- Physical ability to handle objects and perform necessary tasks; move objects weighing up to 30 pounds, to climb stairs and ladders, to stoop, kneel, and crouch.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in creating and leading event experiences.
- Creative, collaborative, with analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written communication for diverse audiences.
- Effective verbal communication with partners, funders, and affiliates.
- A welcoming and professional attitude.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with diverse groups.
- Organizational skills for handling multiple projects and unexpected situations.
- Ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Demonstrates professional communication at all times.
- Strong commitment to social responsibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, email, and web-based research.