Hear the train whistle blow and feel the rumbling excitement of a time when transportation shaped the landscape of America’s cities! Like many regions across America, Springfield’s expansive growth came by way of the railroad—making it a true crossroads city. This area is sure to be a favorite stop for all ages as you venture through the museum.
Step aboard the Frisco locomotive and become the conductor, or ride as a passenger and watch the Missouri scenery go by. After that, steer your way through famous local stories in the trolley time machine.
Here, you’ll also find the Children’s Education Center with a variety of hands-on demonstrations and space for special events.
- Climb aboard our replica locomotive engine where you can controll the train speed, ride as a passenger, or play the built-in transportation games
- Hop into the trolley time machine and steer your way back through 40 vignettes of famous Springfieldians and events
- Learn about the arrival of the railroad and how it divided Springfield into two cities
- Spin the giant park wheels to see historic images of Springfield’s oldest parks
- Enjoy the education space with two large tables
Illuminating Stories of the Past
Places To Visit
The museum is located at the heart of historic downtown Springfield, MO. You’ll find parking and restaurants within walking distance. Our interactive map shows places of rich history in and around the Springfield area, from Civil War sites to the iconic Rail Haven motel on historic Route 66.